Not only racism but the ad can be read in many ways.
- The Child Labor and the Royal avatar of the famous actress shows the binary opposition and representation of the society.
- The child being the sub- altern in this ad has nothing to do with the jewelry brand, so it is used as a symbol to create a difference for the ad audience.
- The ad has a lot in terms of who has the power and control. The elite woman is in power and the child bearing a turban and Indian ornaments (cultural artifacts) represents India’s tradition. it could be read as India has liberated the women but the class difference is still there.
- Utopia for one and dystopia for the other. The actress is portrayed in an utopian illusion and the child has a dystopic view of India.
- The ad is capitalizing the poverty of India as well.
it is interesting to notice that Pakistani media portraying this image as a controversy played in India and troubled ad and actress in vain.